Sunday, June 22, 2008

From 100 to 99

A quiz almost every week. That's the standard my Chinese language teacher has set to ensure that we finish the course equipped with the skills to speak conversational Mandarin. The first time, I got a perfect score, 100/100. I had all the time in the world to study since grad school had not started yet. The second time, I got a 99/100. It was the time I was (well, still am) juggling time between studying for my MA and practicing my Mandarin. I will have a test again next week, and I really hope my test score won't follow a steady downward trend.

On a brighter note, there was a scene in "My Girl" last Friday where Jasmine (played by cutie pie Kim Chiu) went back to her old job as tour guide, after being fired by Julian (played by the gorgeous Gerald Anderson--but you know that already), and guess what--she was tour guide to a bus full of Chinese tourists! I was passively watching when Jasmine/Kim opened her mouth to speak the tourists' native language, and lo and behold, I understood most of it! Isn't that amazing? I can now understand some simple Mandarin! Congratulate me.

1 comments:

MaidenFlight said...

congratulations!