Saturday, May 3, 2008

Grad school worries

First I was worried about not completing the requirements on time. Because I took too much time writing my personal essay, I forgot to ask my teacher for a recommendation letter. So I had everything but THAT. My desperation spurred me to ask for an extension from the Admissions Office. On the deadline itself. I walked from my office to that office, under the stinging heat of the summer sun, to talk to the staff in person. Phone calls can be tricky, so I shunned that.

While walking, I felt my tummy being tangled in knots. I was nervous but I had to do it. I'm not used to asking for favors, so I didn't know how it will go. I was praying while walking. I wanted the staff to be nice.

So I went there and was amazed at how easy it was. I calmly explained my situation, and quietly emphasized that Dr. ____ will give me my recommendation letter on Tuesday, three days after the deadline. I cited that specific day to make her understand that it won't take too long for me to complete that one last requirement. The person I spoke to said yes, I can submit my recommendation letter on Tuesday. Yey!

One bad thing about submitting my application on the afternoon of the deadline was that I ran out of slots for the regular testing. When my turn came, I was told that I will have to take the special test, which is more expensive. Ugh. But at least my application is moving.

Now I'm worried about the entrance test on Monday. I know I'm smart enough to pass it, even if I don't make grand preparations (ie., study like crazy). But still, I can't be too confident, can I? Well, I don't want to be. And that is that.

In the future, I will be worried about how to register for classes IF EVER I'm in a different country. I will also be worried about how to balance my classes, since I have fulltime work AND I want to continue taking Chinese languages classes. This probably means I will kill myself with productivity.

1 comments:

MaidenFlight said...

go productivity, go! everything is turning out well, right? God provides!