Friday, May 9, 2008

Damn Math

I'm not so confident about getting into grad school anymore. Last Monday, I took the entrance test, expecting to ace it, but instead I got a big question mark on my head. There was Math, and the horrors I associate with it---my crabby, spinster teacher in grade 4, not making it to the top 10 elementary school graduates because of less than satisfactory grades in Math (yes, even if I barely passed the subject and all my grades in my other subjects were fine), not getting into the honor section in high school because it required (you guessed it) good Math, and having to repeat Math 11 in college or else I'd find myself out of Ateneo and into (urgh) Miriam College.**

I told my officemates about it as soon as I got to work. I laughed a little, just to convince people it's not that big a deal. But of course it's a big deal for me. I've always had to battle with Math.

So my only consolation is that I'm passionate about languages to do well in it. The English language and analogy parts of my exams went well.

But I stopped finding this fact comforting when I went to Dr. ____'s office the next day to get my recommendation letter. As I've mentioned in my previous blog entry, it's my one last requirement for grad school admission.

So anyway, I got the recommendation letter, and it had a surprise note in it. It said: "Made it, Mitzie. Good luck, be a good grad student, and continue writing those beautiful poems!"

Ack! What grad student? (I MIGHT not pass!) What beautiful poems? (I haven't been writing as seriously as I should be.) Dr. ___'s faith in me makes me feel guilty about my inadequacies.

And so IF I get admitted to grad school this year, I promise to make myself and Dr. ___ and everyody else proud! Itaga niyo sa bato!

**Well, Miriam's not that bad. I spent my nursery, kindergarten, grade school and high school years there. Except that between Ateneo and Miriam, people would normally choose the former. And don't mock me because that's the truth!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi!

Finally, I have someone to share my anxities with. I also took my entrance exams last May 3. I have to agree with you, those damn math questions. LOL. I hate algebra. I did the shotgun approach. :D

I'm really going crazy thinking about the test and agonizing which items I answered incorrectly. For the vocabulary part, do you remember if it's synonym or antonym? Me and my impatient self started answering the questions without clearly hearing the proctor's instructions.

When are you getting the results? Please keep me posted because I still haven't gotten the courage to ask for the results.

Girl Around Ateneo said...

Hi! I think it's antonym. =)

And I think the results will be posted in 2-3 weeks. Please visit www.ateneo.edu for updates. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Whew, thank God!

I answered antonyms but after the exams, I thought I made a mistake.

Well, good luck to us. :) I hope to see you around Ateneo.

Girl Around Ateneo said...

Okiedokie. See you around Ateneo!

Hilda said...

Do you need math for communication?

Girl Around Ateneo said...

Hi Ms Hilda. I don't know if I need Math for Communication. But I'm guessing it's because of possible classes on statistics. But I have an idea of what classes I want to take, and those classes don't involve any sort of Math...hahaha. =)