Saturday, July 12, 2008

Grad School Student Council

Someone's too enthusiastic about grad school. And it's me.

During the orientation seminar this morning, someone from the Interim Graduate School Student Council spoke about services and plans for this school year. I got excited.

Not that I was a student leader in my not-so-distant college life. I didn't even bother voting. Instead, I channeled my energy into finding books on feminism and Plath at the library. But all that's changing.

Maybe it's because it was only after realizing the hard work and life-long learning that a thriving career entails that I understood the value of education. I need knowledge and wisdom to navigate life. Work, meanwhile, is the proving ground of everything I've learned. So at the end of the day, everything balances out. And that's what I really need.

I have no plans of running for president or anything of that sort. However, I want to help. I was thinking that if there's a committee that matches my qualifications, then I'll be there. I have an idea which area I'll volunteer in. I must email the council soon.

As for my work, I feel the need to get out there. I mean, out into the world. I can lead myself. I can pretty much steer myself to work conscientiously. And when I need to work with others, I'd like to think that I can work with a team (There are occasional misunderstandings caused by varying levels of intelligence. But that's normal, because not everyone can grasp concepts quickly like me...Ok, I kid. Or maybe not. Typical Atenean. Atenean with the EQ of a 12-year old, that is).

The question now, therefore, is whether I have the courage to get out of my comfort zone and (gasp!) actually face people other than my officemates. You know, to get out there and apply all the knowledge and skills I've managed to acquire.

Someone obviously needs practice. Maybe holing up in the library wasn't such a good idea?

0 comments: