Friday, September 26, 2008

One big bonfire! (and other musings)

Okay, the bonfire is on Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

If you're Catholic, go to the Church of the Gesu for the mass at 6:00 p.m.

Come 7:00 p.m., all hell breaks lose with (what else!) the actual bonfire.

I describe it as "hell" because that's my first experience of a bonfire. When the Ateneo football team won its historic three-peat years ago, Ateneo also had a bonfire. I was in charge of videotaping the thing. Because I wanted to get a nice shot, I decided to move closer. Saktong-sakto, nagliyab ang lahat ng kahoy paglapit ko. Sobrang init, parang impyerno!

Yun lang. =)

***

Because the Basic Chinese 3 class (Chinese characters) at the Confucius Institute got dissolved, the next best thing to take is Practical Spoken Chinese 4. The lessons are still in pinyin, which means I'm still conveniently classified as illiterate in Chinese. No read, no write, just speak. Urgh.

***

I've been trying to remember what I really dreamed of doing in high school. I remember wanting to travel a la Lonely Planet and to write these adventures down in a magazine article. I also wanted my own column in a newspaper a la Karen Kunawicz.

Now I'm in my late 20s, America is in an economic recession, and magazines are folding up. People blog, and some blog for a living. I write content for the university website and occasionally, when I'm free to freelance, I review resorts and restaurants for a travel magazine. I am working towards a Masters degree, learning Chinese, and thinking of where to go and what to do next. I am thinking of the next step. I am looking for a stepping stone. But I haven't left every stone unturned yet. I am praying for strength.

0 comments: