Sunday, May 11, 2008

Light painting

Thank God for bosses who support your passion for photography. Yesterday, some of my officemates and I attended a photography seminar at CCF (Christ’s Commission Fellowship, if I’m not mistaken) in Ortigas. Sharing his expertise was wedding photographer Andy Samaniego.

I am pretty happy about it because it refreshed my mind with what I’ve learned at another photography workshop at Jesuit Communications in 2006. In principle, I already know what aperture, shutter speed, exposure and focal length are. I’ve been trying to use these things since then, sometimes with some measure of success, and most of the time with utter failure.

But it was only yesterday when I finally understood how these things work together to make the perfect picture. Now all I need is practice.

Next Saturday, we’ll be back at CCF to study basic Photoshop. I never really understood the importance of tweaking your pictures to make it better. But when Andy showed some of his shots to us, I was amazed at how dramatic shots can be made even more dramatic with Photoshop. But of course, the basic ingredients for a great photo are still imagination, a creative concept and a great shot to start with.

What got my heart skipping a beat, though, was when Andy brushed on the technique of light painting. He gave the example of his car, and how he used artificial lights to give drama to the photo. I can’t really explain it well right now, but if you were there and you heard what he said, and you become sold on the idea of using light to “paint” the shot, then you’ll be as excited as I am to learn!

We’ll be attending a lighting seminar, also at CFF, on the last Saturday of May. That is, if circumstances allow me. Something good is supposed to happen on the 19th (can’t tell you what), but if it doesn’t pan out, then this lighting seminar, my Basic Chinese 2 class, and grad school are sure to salve the hurt of my thwarted plans.

Pray for me.

0 comments: